Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Beginning

I discovered the powerkiting for myself a few years ago in England. I saw some kites and a man flying above the snow on the cover of a magazine. It turned out to be a kiteboarding magazine dedicated mostly to snow kiteboarding. I love to go to the mountain for snowboarding, skiing or just hiking so I immediately pictured myself hooked to a kite travelling with the wind through the white hills. Freedom and Endless pleasure without the lift queues and the crowded slopes. The idea got me so excited I could hardly sleep that night. It called some long forgotten memories from my childhood like the one about my first flight with my grandfather's umbrella. I was running through a grassfield in front of our house with the opened umbrella above my head. I was enjoying the feeling of the umbrella lifting my hand so much that I didn't notice a short but steep slope coming. I ran directly out of the edge. The improvised parachute slowed down my fall for a second and I thought "I'm flying!" Then the umbrella broke and flipped backwards. I fell down like a stone. I was so excited about my first flight that I wasn't feeling any pain or regret about my grandfather's destroyed property. I jumped on my feet instead and ran back to the house to find another umbrella. When I woke up in the morning I wasn't so sure if this was a real memory or just a dream but the first thing I did was to go online and choose a kite.

No comments: